Steps for Child CPR
- Tap and Shout. Yell for help. Call an emergency number or have someone else do it.
- Check if the child is unresponsive, not breathing or gasping.
- Give 30 Chest Compressions
- You can use one or two hands: For one-handed compressions, press down hard and fast on the center of the chest using the heel of your hand
- For two-handed compressions, push down hard and fast on the center of the chest with the heel of one hand and place the other over top
- Push down about 2 inches deep, giving at least 100 compressions per minute
- Allow for full chest recoil between each compression
4. Give 2 Rescue Breaths
- Make sure the head is tilted back and the chin is lifted
- Pinch the nose closed and cover their mouth with your mouth to form a complete seal
- Blow inside the victim’s mouth for 1 second and look for their chest to rise
- If the chest doesn’t rise, give another breath.